Sunday, March 26, 2017

Noise Field Breakthrough

Procedural texture synthesis. A.G. (c) 2017. All Rights Reserved.
I had a mild breakthrough. The above image was generated entirely through numerical computation. I essentially created a vector with 65536 values, all either a 0 or 255. I generated various segments of all black or all white, of different lengths, and I created the 65536 vector by randomly choosing between various length "LINES" or line segments.

Then I generated a Gaussian distribution matrix and did a matrix operation equivalent to a difference blend mode. That is, I took my two separate 65536 vectors and turned them into np.array types, did the arithmetic, subtracting one from the other, and then I ended up with the above image.

There must be easier ways to do this, but I chose to work with a vector of 65536 values. I just am learning to construct it in different ways. I will try to do it using list comprehensions and functional programming, to make the job more elegant.

I repeat: The above image was generated entirely through numerical computation in a step by step, therefore algorithmic, method. I just did some of it manually, creating the 65536 vectors.

No comments:

Post a Comment